Saturday, January 23, 2010

My Brother, the Sailor



So as most of you know, my little brother, Eric, is in the Navy. In the beginning of this month, he was setting out on a "cruise" from Virginia to California. They were going to make some stops along the way to places in South America like Brazil and Peru and stuff, but shortly after they departed, the earthquake in Haiti happened. So since their ship, the Carl Vincent, was nearby, they were the very first ship to arrive there to help and allow planes to land on the ship for supplies.

So far, Eric hasn't been able to help out much, but pretty soon he will be. So if you ever see any footage of Haiti, and there's a Navy ship in the background, that's him. He also said that the main doctor there (the Hispanic looking one that's always on TV) comes on his ship sometimes because they've brought people on there to treat medically. I think it's so neat. It's going to be a really cool experience for him and it makes me feel like I'm a part of it in a way. It's so tragic what has happened and it's really hard to watch some of the footage, especially while I'm holding Brighton and thinking of all the mothers that have lost their little babies and children, and vise-versa. It's just unbearable.

It's good to hear from Eric, since he can't call, we've actually heard from him more often through e-mails. I think he's really lonely or just bored. Either way, it makes me happy to hear from him. He's not sure if the ship is still planning on going to Brazil and all that, or if they'll just stay in Haiti for the remainder of the cruise. It would be neat for him to see all those places, but he's excited to be able to help out in Haiti. I'm so proud of him. I can't wait for him to meet Brighton.

No comments:

Post a Comment